[Lazarus] Lazarus Version

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Nov 8 14:05:08 CET 2016

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 13:08:41 +0100 (CET)
Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

>[...]
> I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I don't know what 'version
> unit' you mean ?

For example lazarus/lcl/lclversion.pas

>[...]
> As far as I know, the version number of a lazarus packages lives outside the
> sources, it resides just in the LPK.

Yes.

> I now use some XML routines to extract
> this version number from the .lpk and write it in the abovementioned include
> file. This happens in our build system.

The IDE could write the version to some file (or update an existing
file). What would be a good place?
For example when package A needs to know the version of a required
package B the version must be stored either in a unit of A or B.
Storing it in B avoids redundancy, but when B is read only it needs
to be stored in A.

Mattias