[Lazarus] WebAssembly

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Nov 9 10:38:59 CET 2016

(Creating a new thread instead of using "Help System with Chromium
Embedded component")

On 09.11.2016 05:38, Lars via Lazarus wrote:

> On Tue, November 8, 2016 3:49 am, Michael Schnell via Lazarus wrote:
>> On 08.11.2016 11:42, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
>>
>>> I seriously doubt that. It's just something that will exist next to
>>> javascript but in essence will perform the same tasks as javascript.
>> ==OFF TOPIC== (so ignore if there is not a very short answer)
>>

>> Any plans  for a webassembly support with FPC ?
>>

> There is an old thread about it here:
>
> http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,28836.0.html
>
> Many skeptics, but many think it is an interesting idea even though
> skeptical.
>
> And what happened to microsoft silverlight? did anyone care?

IMHO Silverlight is dying because Java is the winner over C#, due to
Android systems outselling any other OS architecture.

Hence WebASM - that seems to be based on Java - might be successful in
pushing the idea of allowing for precompiled byte code embedded in HTML.

Regarding fpc/Lazarus, it obviously would be a huge benefit if on top of
fpc's WebAdmin support, the LCL would provide decent support for an
appropriate WidgetType that allows to simply cross-compile a "usual"
Lazarus project to be runnable in a browser.

The "WEB-LCL"code would need to access the Browser's "GUI"
infrastructure using the appropriate API (supposedly defined as a part
of the WebASM specs), in a way as compatible as possible to the other
WidgetTypes (such as "Win32" or "GTK2").

Of course a "WEB-LCL" and "WEB-RTL" (dynamic Web-linkable) WEBASM files
needs to be provided on a server and the project resources need to be
embedded somehow.

As a further extension, "in depth" support for communicating (using
WebSocket) between the parts of a dual-issue application, one part
running in native code on the Server "behind" the WebServer, one part
running in the browser, would be very appropriate. (Doing a single
"application" and seamlessly distributing it in that way had always been
a promise of Silverlight's.)

This is a great opportunity to beat Embarcadero :-):-):-)

Michael (just dreaming)