[Lazarus] WebAssembly

Lars noreply at z505.com
Fri Nov 11 01:33:09 CET 2016

On Wed, November 9, 2016 2:38 am, Michael Schnell via Lazarus wrote:
> IMHO Silverlight is dying because Java is the winner over C#, due to
> Android systems outselling any other OS architecture.
>

> Hence WebASM - that seems to be based on Java - might be successful in
> pushing the idea of allowing for precompiled byte code embedded in HTML.

If you mean based on java as in it compiles to a virtual machine like
thing, actually this was more of a pascal thing, and oberon thing, than
Java - java stole the idea from the UCSD-Pascal system, ancient. I wrote
about this long ago...  And, I could be wrong but I think java also stole
from Oberon. i.e. when people credit Java for the idea of JVM, what they
really should be crediting is UCSD Pascal, and then Oberon which succeeded
it... Oberon is 1990's and maybe late 80's technology, UCSD pascal is
ancient. But I'm nit picking.

> Regarding fpc/Lazarus, it obviously would be a huge benefit if on top of
> fpc's WebAdmin support, the LCL would provide decent support for an
> appropriate WidgetType that allows to simply cross-compile a "usual"
> Lazarus project to be runnable in a browser.

I'm partial to Marco V.'s post on the lazarus forum I linked.. I think
maybe porting lazarus to web assembly might just result in all sorts of
kludges. Maybe best to start from scratch. But as I said I'm partial: not
fully decided.