[Lazarus] Help System with Chromium Embedded component

Lars noreply at z505.com
Fri Nov 11 02:11:46 CET 2016

>>> The best reason to have some local (whatever how limited) widget is
>>> for IDE popups of helptext instead of an external browser.

External browser requires alt-tabbing away from the ide which is a pain. A
external browser cannot be communicated with once you open the html file.
with a local widget, you can communicate with that widget. With an
external browser, once you've loaded the page there is no way to
communicate. An an external browser doesn't offer a search system if it's
a static html file served off line.  So then you end up with people just
using google and online help and stack exchange, instead of reading
documentation.

My idea with chromium embedded is to write the documentation for an online
web server, but then easily port it to offline documentation served with
chromium embedded. No local web server needs to be installed on port 80
conflicting with any other servers on the users computer. Html anchors can
be used to scroll to certain parts of the documentation. Or if anchors are
not enough, there is always javascript.

But, my idea of using chromium embedded is sort of a dream ruined. Because
of the large 100+MB dependency it pulls in, as pointed out by others (i.e.
Graeme said 300MB, maybe that was exaggeration).

A local ngnix server or similar could serve documentation (or even nYume
or Aservia) however this requires that a port 80 be tied up, or another
port alternative to port 80 which may be blocked by firewall. That I would
want to avoid, as it's just another hassle.

It's amazing someone hasn't thought of a web server that works off line,
that uses no ports, and just runs as some kind of plain Exe not using any
http port... Not sure if this is an absurd idea (actually, that's kind of
what chromium embedded is).