[Lazarus] Help System with Chromium Embedded component

Fri Nov 11 12:03:58 CET 2016

On 2016-11-11 01:11, Lars via Lazarus wrote:
> port alternative to port 80 which may be blocked by firewall. That I would
> want to avoid, as it's just another hassle.

You can always use any other port >1024 for that. I've implemented a
commercial application that works mostly online, but we wanted a offline
version too. So I built a local mini webserver inside the main
application. The application launched your default web browser with a
URL and port number which the main application served. It worked
beautifully.

But for help, firing up Chrome of Firefox is just too damn slow, and
eats way to much memory. Also you will have to implement your own search
(which will be slow over HTML files), table of contents and index pages.
Then what about other useful features like bookmarking a help topic,
inline annotations (user defined notes added to a help topic at runtime).

As for communications with a external [dedicated] help viewer. fpGUI's
Docview does that via IPC, Microsoft's WinHelp I think could do it too,
OS/2 VIEW help viewer did lots of 2-way communications with applications.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/