[Lazarus] WebAssembly

Lars noreply at z505.com
Fri Nov 11 23:27:09 CET 2016

On Fri, November 11, 2016 2:23 am, Michael Schnell via Lazarus wrote:
> On 11.11.2016 01:33, Lars via Lazarus wrote:
>
>> Maybe best to start from scratch.
>>
> Regarding the Lazarus paradigm "write once, compile and run everywhere",
> IMHO not a good idea.

The issue is you are working in a sandbox. Lazarus is designed to take
control of the computer using all the dangerous things without any
sandbox, such as being able to delete and write to pretty much any file
you want that has the correct permissions in place. A sandbox is much more
specialized to develop for, because you may only be able to access certain
directory with limited files....

So you could modify lazarus to work with this sandbox restriction, but,
might be easier to design from scratch. ...

I understand the desire to just take existing LCL app and port it to the
web browser, but that's a pipe dream, because browsers will be in
sandboxes that just don't work like client applications on Ms Windows,
BSD/Linux.

Another option is just to use a separate widget set and see how that
works, such as fpGUI widget. But I guess that means you can't as easily
take an existing app and port it.