[Lazarus] stale pipe workarounds

Sun Nov 20 11:05:27 CET 2016

On 2016-11-20 03:50, Lars via Lazarus wrote:
> It just makes me scared that there is this hack/fix needed.

No need to worry, the Lazarus code is outdated. That fix is already in
FPC 2.6.4 too, and any FPC release after that.

I've been using SimplyIPC for many things and it has worked very well.
eg: Implementing a single instance application feature. The second
instance will detected the IPC comms, and use it to tell the first
instance what to do (eg: open another file), then the second instance
will terminate.

I've also implemented a visual logging/debugging program, using
simpleIPC, to overcome some shortcomings of Lazarus+GDB debugging. Think
Raize Software's CodeSite product for Delphi (but not as advanced). In
this tool I did notice one issue with SimpleIPC under Windows only. When
I fired 100's of log events per second, under Windows, I lost some
messages. I believe I did file a bug report on this. It was some 5-6
years ago, and it was a very specific case. For day-to-day usage,
SimpleIPC works perfectly though.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/