[Lazarus] that's surprised me a lot

info at voiceliveeditor.com info at voiceliveeditor.com
Sat Oct 1 18:01:58 CEST 2016

Hi

Sounds like backscatter mail;
Sender is spoofing your email; as long as you have valid spf, and dkim for
the sending domain the spoofed email should be picked up by most well
configured mail server as not originating from sender and not deliver;
sometimes the mail server may send a message back to your server informing
you that an email was received that failed spf and dkim and was not
delivered.

An analogy would be somebody sending a letter to an unknown person and
placing your home address as the sender on the envelope; the person it was
sent to opens it; and send back 'return to sender'; you then get the letter
as your home address is on the letter,having not sent it in the first place,
very annoying.

Sometimes an email or domain can be attacked in this way to send out
spam/viruses etc, and by having valid spf/dkim etc should reduce the
possibility of this happening; however one thing that you will need to check
regularly is that you do not get black listed use something like mxtoolbox
to check your domain is not black listed; as if your getting attacked in
this way and spam/viruses are 'appearing' to come from your domain; mail
servers can be configured to auto report this activity to the likes of
protected sky etc causing a blacklisting; once your blacklisted you will
have problems sending to the likes of hotmail,gmail,aol,yahoo etc as well as
company mail servers that use these blacklisting services as blacklist
filters.

if you getting problems sending to gmail/yahoo/hotmail,outlook, live etc.
Make sure that you have signed up to the bulk mail sending service ( or
something like that; it is specific to each one so may take some googling)
so that they do not block you dead; hotmail,outlook,live etc if you get
black listed can take some time to get cleared as it is not automated and is
done by human and you will have to jump through some hoops to clear it.

I come across this a lot; it seems to have escalated in the last 6 months. I
have one mail server that is only confirming less than 0.2% as valid emails
a months; the rest 99.8% is backscatter/spoofed emails; that you have no
control over as you have not sent them. On this one server it was getting
blacklisted twice a week; I even took the server down for a 2 week period;
and it was getting blacklisted during this period.

Just food for thought.
Might be of use.