[Lazarus] Teaching Pascal at College

Thu Oct 13 23:45:16 CEST 2016

On 2016-10-13 21:13, Martin Collins via Lazarus wrote:
> My coding is just a hobby that I enjoy, but I would like to be able to
> do it well and also somehow know that I am. Unfortunately I come from a
> marine (ships) background not from an IT one. No formal training in
> programming.

You background doesn't matter. Many have found there way into
programming from whatever they did before. Formal training is also not a
requirement for becoming a good or even excellent programming. I know
many excellent self-taught programmers. Most things programmers do are
all self-taught anyway. Formal training just plants the seed. From what
you described (your willingness to learn by reading various programming
books), it seems you are well on your way to become a better programmer.
You should give yourself more credit. :-)

> on this mailing list recommend as the best reference publication for
> teaching a) programming concepts in general, & b) pascal programming
> specifically?

With the availability of the Internet, there are tons of useful
information out there - all for free. You just need the willingness to
read, learn and practice. My biggest leap in improving my programming
skills was when I started studying Design Patterns.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/