[Lazarus] Teaching Pascal at College

Erwin van den Bosch erwin at deseine.nl
Fri Oct 14 00:13:58 CEST 2016

Although I use Free Pascal/Lazarus a lot (because we have a lot of
existing pascal code) I think C++ and some GUI framework like QT might
be a better option. C/C++ is the number one used programming language.
C/C++ code is much more portable to other systems. There are more
compilers. QT has a very nice IDE (QT Creator) and is available for
Windows, Mac and Linux. Nobody is using Pascal these days. So why learn it?

I'm not a big fan of the RAD development way any more. (I was years
ago). The problem is that you should separate your business logic and
the GUI. With Delphi like RAD it's very difficult to do that. (but it is
possible) Everything is coded in events and connected to database aware
GUI controls. (In the case of a database application)
Another problem with the RAD way is that a lot is stored in forms (.lfm
files) and it's difficult to see/notice changes to those files. They can
be very big and it's difficult to see if some control is missing, for
example, an event or so. The Lazarus IDE does frequently change the
properties of controls on the form. For example the width and the height
properties frequently change with no reason as it seems. As specially
when you do development on both Windows and Linux. That makes tracking
code changes (and so potential new bugs) not very easy.

Regards,
     Erwin