[Lazarus] Teaching Pascal at College

DougC doug at moosemail.net
Fri Oct 14 03:14:49 CEST 2016

---- On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 18:13:58 -0400Erwin van den Bosch via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote ----

Although I use Free Pascal/Lazarus a lot (because we have a lot of existing pascal code) I think C++ and some GUI framework like QT might be a better option. C/C++ is the number one used programming language. C/C++ code is much more portable to other systems. There are more compilers. QT has a very nice IDE (QT Creator) and is available for Windows, Mac and Linux. Nobody is using Pascal these days. So why learn it?

Learn Object Pascal early instead of C/C++ because it is simpler and better designed. It therefore allows the students to focus on the content of what they are building and not the extraneous details/dangers of the language. This is why Pascal was the standard language for advanced placement courses for several decades before the academic establishment gave in to market forces.