[Lazarus] Teaching Pascal at College

Lars noreply at z505.com
Fri Oct 21 09:51:38 CEST 2016

On Mon, October 17, 2016 7:32 pm, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> One obvious point is that an "event" driven programming knowledge is a
> must to become a competent programmer . The problem is how this can be
> learned . Without knowing how to program an algorithm when a related event
> is occurred , will bring any one to nothing means ( not to a success ) .

An interesting question is what is an event and isn't in some way or
another all programming based on events that occur?

The concept of callbacks is very similar to events. you make a callback
when something happens, just like an event. This can be done even in old
turbopascal programs or console mode programs..

I'm not so sure event driven programming is a must to become a competent
programmer, I would have to think about that. Events could (may) force a
programmer to think about programs in a certain way... when there are
alternatives? or are events the only alternative just in another form
(callbacks, or calling procedures). It begs the question about whether
events are just procedures being called, which is the same as any
programming methodology since all programs "call procedures".

Is a compiler event driven? A competent programmer could write a compiler,
or a parser. Are they necessary to have event driven architectures?

i.e. is the fpc compiler event driven, even if not officially event driven
someone ended up reinventing events in it? From what I understand Michael
V. C.'s documentation tool is event driven which differs from the fpc
compiler.  However I beg the question:  is all programming event driven in
some way since events are just "calls to procedures". Of course that is
simplifying it, but "what is an event?" would be a good computing science
article to write. If I had any time..