[Lazarus] Teaching Pascal at College

Lars noreply at z505.com
Fri Oct 21 10:33:43 CEST 2016

On Tue, October 18, 2016 4:53 am, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk via Lazarus wrote:
> My application was like the following ( as a very simple example ) :
>

> Pose a problem "Display your name ."
> After this is done :
>

> "Display your name 10 times ."
>

> The students were not able to write their programs . Then , solution was
> "You should use a loop ."

How do you know some clever student wouldn't end up using recursion
without any loop involved?

And that leads to a question, should recursion even be used in teaching or
are loops easier to reason about?

I find recursion, although intellectually interesting, kind of difficult
to map in the mind, and I'm skeptical of all the functional languages
using recursion, almost abusively.