[Lazarus] Chromium embedded on freebsd or firefox embedded

José Mejuto joshyfun at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:33:12 CEST 2016

El 24/10/2016 a las 2:19, Lars via Lazarus escribió:

> Those are some interesting reads. It confirms my gut instinct to choose
> chromium embedded (CEF) for development, instead of mozilla embedded, as
> chromium embedded seems more designed for embedding at this stage than the
> more immature firefox code.

Hello,

Yes, currently Chromium seems to be better, but anyway it will need a
lot of work starting from the CEF as if my brain serves me CEF API is
C++ so you will find the same problem as Qt interface, a very big DLL/so
to convert C++ to plain C functions that will need a quite good maintain.

> I wonder how often chromium embedded breaks their api, or changes the V8
> engine so that old stuff no longer works.

As far as I know it is quite stable now.

> One thing I'd really like is a single DLL to ship with an application
> instead of mounds and mounds of files that these embedded solutions
> require. However I guess that's not going to happen.

No for sure, that will not happen :) unless you use some dirty tricks.
In the past I was able to "inject" 3 or 4 DLLs in my EXE and use them,
but only in 32 bits Windows and I was unable to port the code to the 64
bits windows loader (it basically performs the same actions Windows do
when load a DLL from disk, but the function loads it from a resource and
adjust the call pointers and other things as Windows will do it).

Of course that method will not with all DLLs.