[Lazarus] Object Inspector reuse ?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Sep 8 09:52:46 CEST 2016

On Thu, 8 Sep 2016, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 09:13:49 +0200 (CEST)
> Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> > These are property editors for the FCL/LCL types and the component tree
>> > view.  They are LCL specific, not IDE specific.
>>
>> I beg to differ somwhat....
>> A quick glance reveals that they reference for example the help system of the IDE.
>
> It uses the hint window.
> You can use this to show your own hints in your application.

I suppose you know that the IDEHelpIntf contains a whole lot more than just that ?

>> IDEWindowIntf is also not really something I want in my end-user binary.
>
> IDEWindowIntf?

>From PropEdits:

   // Forms with .lfm files
   FrmSelectProps, StringsPropEditDlg, KeyValPropEditDlg, CollectionPropEditForm,
   FileFilterPropEditor, IDEWindowIntf;

>From my point of view, none of these should appear in propedits.
Some are probably for Delphi compatibility.

I can see that an effort was made to make the OI independent of the IDE,
but it is either not sufficient, or it has been watered down over time.
In each case, it pulls in way more than I consider appropriate.
(from an IDE point of view, the tight integration makes sense, no discussion
there)

So it seems that either I take the whole shebang, or I must roll my own.

Michael.