[Lazarus] Editor doesn't scroll horizontally - no scrollbar

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Sep 9 11:22:39 CEST 2016

On 09/09/2016 09:34, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see this bug quite frequently in my Linux version of Lazarus.
>    Lazarus 1.7 r52715 FPC 2.6.4 x86_64-linux-gtk 2
>
> I can't remember ever seeing it under FreeBSD, where Lazarus IDE also
> uses LCL-GTK2.
>
> Anyway. I'm in the editor, and have a long line of code that goes off
> the screen to the right. I press END, and my cursor is off the screen,
> but the editor never scrolled horizontally. There is no horizontal
> scrollbar either. I can still scroll vertically though.
>
> The only way to fix this is to restart Lazarus IDE. I can't reproduce
> this bug on demand, but I do experience this bug about 3-5 times per
> day. I've tried to do a clean rebuild of Lazarus IDE, but that did not
> resolve the issue.
>

> Anybody else experienced this bug?
I have seen it once (a few month back) on windows. Not sure what causes
it (or if it is a new issue).

IIRC some edit action on some line worked around it. (edit the longest
line, or temporarily append to a line to make it longest)

If you get it frequently put some debugln into unit SynEditTextTabExpander
function TSynEditStringTabExpander.GetLengthOfLongestLine: integer;

above the "try" block
if blockif Line2>=Line1 then
debugln(['TSynEditStringTabExpander.GetLengthOfLongestLine ',
FIndexOfLongestLine,': ', Result, '  / ', FFirstUnknownLongestLine,'-',
FLastUnknownLongestLine, '  / ', Line1,'-',Line2]);

when it happens, copy the tail of the output (there may be a lot of
output before).

Also note which line you are on, what length the current line is, and if
the current line is the longest line. (and what the longest line is)