[Lazarus] Vulkan Library for FreePascal/Lazarus

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 18:34:50 CEST 2017

a2017-04-13 11:30 GMT+02:00 Kostas Michalopoulos via Lazarus
<lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org>:
> This is nice, although personally i do not like the use of multiple inc
> files. I think Benjamin Rosseaux's pasvulkan does it better with creating a
> single pas file (he also uses a unit from the vk.xml file):
>
> https://github.com/BeRo1985/pasvulkan/blob/master/src/Vulkan.pas
>

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 7:32 AM, James.mcjohnson via Lazarus
> <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>>
>> This is both an announcement and request for help for an open source
>> FreePascal project which strives to provide:
>> 1) a low level access to Vulkan API created directly from the vk.xml
>> specification
>> 2) high level wrapper classes for ease of integration in an FP/Lazarus
>> project
>>
>> The project is located at
>> https://github.com/james-mcjohnson/VulkanLibraryForFreePascal and I would
>> appreciate any constructive feedback.
>>
>> It is my hope that a better programmer than I am will take an interest and
>> help create a truly useful Vulkan Library for FreePascal.

I want to add Vulkan renderer to Castle Game Engine later this year.
Now I don't know which project to choose:) Both approaches
(https://github.com/james-mcjohnson/VulkanLibraryForFreePascal and
https://github.com/BeRo1985/pasvulkan ) seem very fine to me,

- in both cases you generate the Pascal code automatically from vk.xml,
- in both cases you provide a nicely-looking OOP API,
- both projects have suitable open-source licenses (MIT or zlib).

I don't mind a couple of include files, they actually include
readability for me. (I know, it's a matter of taste -- do you prefer
to navigate multiple smaller files, or navigate one big file.)

@James, would you mind removing the "Public Service Announcement" from
https://github.com/james-mcjohnson/VulkanLibraryForFreePascal/blob/master/LICENSE.md
? Don't get me wrong, I understand that you want to promote your faith
and I respect that. Having this in README files, and Pascal sources,
is absolutely OK. But I'm not a lawyer, and I'm unsure how it affects
the legal text of the license. Having just an "unmodified MIT license"
would feel safer for me.

Regards,
Michalis