[Lazarus] String vs WideString

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Aug 15 12:02:28 CEST 2017

On 15.08.2017 11:52, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
> This cannot be solved properly except by duplicating the classes unit.

Sorry to disagree, but IMHO this can only be solved properly by defining
an additional fully dynamically encoded string type and use same for
TStrings (see ->
http://wiki.freepascal.org/not_Delphi_compatible_enhancement_for_Unicode_Support
)

But I am perfectly aware that implementing this would be a huge effort
(see other mail here), and nobody i entitled to ask for this. (I wrote
the article just to elaborate what was discussed in the fpc mailing list
at that time.)

-Michael