[Lazarus] The new kid is growing up fast

Mon Aug 21 01:54:56 CEST 2017

On 2017-08-20 22:21, Lars via Lazarus wrote:
> Does it require WINE or anything obscure, which makes installing apps
> difficult for the end user?

It doesn't use WINE as far as I know. As I understand it, it is similar
to LCL in that the toolkit API implementation is very Windows API
centric (obviously because VCL is). So they have implemented a "bridge"
where Windows API calls are translated to native API's, no matter the
platform - similar to what WINE does, but not actually using WINE.

There FAQ page explains in much better and in more detail:

   http://www.crossvcl.com/faq.html

My issue with CrossVCL is that it requires Delphi 10.2 and the OSX
add-on for Mac targets, or the Enterprise edition of Delphi to target
Linux. That means a considerable expense! FPC and Lazarus is FREE and
targets the same platforms or more. And personally I doubt I'll ever
move back to closed source development tools.

Regards,
   Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/