[Lazarus] Debugger constantly crashing.

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sun Aug 27 22:43:06 CEST 2017

On 27/08/2017 20:51, Donald Ziesig via Lazarus wrote:

> The GDB command:
> "-data-evaluate-expression CQ2WORLDDM.CQWORLDDATA^"
> did not return any result.
>
> The only thing that seems to be consistent with all of the crashes is
> that the expression being evaluated is dereferencing a pointer.  (I
> might be wrong about this; I just don't recall any other cases).
>
> Has anyone else seen this and come up with a solution, or should I
> create a bug report?

This is a bug in gdb, so we can not fix it on our end.

But a couple of notes that may help.

1) You can turn of the debug hint somewhere in the options (codetools) IIRC

2) Try compiling with dwarf or stabs (project options / debugging). I
think the default is stabs, so you should try dwarf.

BUT: You need to apply that to all packages too (each package has an
option). Easiest way to do this is "Additions and Overrides"

3) Try a different version of GDB.
I have not tested this on Linux, but on win only. But it may be similar
on Linux.
My observation is that gdb at version 7.7 and above crashes more often
(and especially with stabs).