[Lazarus] CHM help package (Marco van de Voort)

Sergey Bodrov serbod at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 15:15:36 CET 2017

lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org>:

> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 01:25:59PM +0300, Sergey Bodrov via Lazarus wrote:
> >
> > I change code formatting, many private names, add many comments and
> embrace
> > whole blocks of code into try..finally. And now can't tell, which parts
> is
> > most essential.
>
> Yes. Somebody will have to figure that mess out, preferably by somebody who
> has some recollection about what he has done.  It is always a bad idea to
> do
> big style related operations mixing it with real fixes.  Now you know why
> :-)

Problem is that I first change code formatting just to make it readable,
and then do fixes. Most fixes was impossible without reformatting.

> And when I had a quick peak, I scanned two whole files, and didn't find any
> fixes except adding "const" to some parameters, and some 2.6.x era unicode
> fixes that used Lazarus units, and thus can't be merged into FPC repo
> anyway.  (using lazconvencoding or something like that).

Hmm, don't remember, that I doing addiction of new includes to 'chm' units.
And encoding-related operations was made in LHelp project, after HTML
content readed from CHM file, but before it passed to IPro HTML viewer.

There was some compiler warnings about WideString -> AnsiString conversion,
that I eliminate with UTF8Encode() from RTL

Maybe you mention file lcid_conv.pas, which contain MS Locale ID to Windows
Codepage conversion and common for LHelp and chmmaker projects? Yes, chm
package is a wrong place for it. I don't know, where is better place.

> So that would need to be cleaned up using FPC 3.0 string support first.

What is better way to convert WideString to AnsiString without warnings?

> Naming and linking problems.
>
> The units have no name with chm in them, so I see no naming issues and FPC
> in general does not employ static libraries or so for linking purposes.

And if that unit names will be same in different packages?

Also, is chm is really needed and used in FPC, without Lasarus?

--
*Bodrov Sergey*
software development, IT consulting
*e-mail:* serbod at gmail.com, oxotnuk at yandex.ru