[Lazarus] CHM help package

Sergey Bodrov serbod at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 08:39:35 CET 2017

lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org>:

> Am 11.12.2017 um 18:32 schrieb Werner Pamler via Lazarus:
>
>> I cloned your repo on my HD, and went through it step by step while
>> always trying to build lhelp, I could remove everything from the folder chm
>> except for these units: chmfifimain, chmreader, chmsitemap, chmtypes (and
>> chmobjinstance.inc). I think it is possible to extract the essential
>> changes from these units to get at least the new reading functionality. I
>> can try this - but: before beginning I'd like to get positive feedback from
>> fpc devs that this will be merged (I have some old patches hanging around
>> there, and it is not always motivating to submit fpc patches).

There is no special new reading functionality, only bugfixes and code
improvements. I spend many hours just to understand how it works and how it
must work properly. It's not trivial without proper documentation.

> As for the unit lcid_conv: This fits into Lazarus' LazUtils, and should go
>> there independently of how this story ends here. I have commit rights to
>> Lazarus and can put it there. Any objections?

I don't know, where is better place for such file. Locale ID is MS Windows
specific, so maybe it better place to some windows - related unit or
LazUtils?

> Sergey, I loaded a chm having codepage iso-8859-1 into your modified
> lhelp. It crashes in TIpChmDataProvider.DetectHtmlCodepage when trying to
> convert the string 88591 to a Word. Also, this codepage (as well as the
> other iso's) are not considered in lclid_conv.

 iso-8859-1 encoding have not relation to MS Locale ID. It HTML-specific,
and must handled by HTML viewer. I do dirty hack with HTML codepage
coversion just because don't ready to make fixes in TIpHtmlPanel.

--
*Bodrov Sergey*
software development, IT consulting
*e-mail:* serbod at gmail.com, oxotnuk at yandex.ru