[Lazarus] Embedding an X11 server as a component

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Dec 28 17:37:13 CET 2017

On 26/12/17 20:30, Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus wrote:
> Is it possible to embed the main window of another program into a pane
> in something written using Lazarus, letting the Lazarus program provide
> the "furniture" functionality that's usually handled by the window manager?
> The scenario I'm thinking about is putting multiple instances of
> something non-trivial like Wireshark into an overall "wrapper".

Going some way towards answering my own question: Xnest or Xephyr can be
embedded into an existing window using the -parent option, where the
parameter is the window identifier shown by e.g. xwininfo. There are
various authorisation issues which I've not yet got to grips with.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk