[Lazarus] Run parameters

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Feb 11 12:15:04 CET 2017

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 11:22:23 +0100 (CET)
> Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Currently, the options specified in 'Run - Parameters' are stored in the
>> project.lpi file.
>>
>> I have always found this a strange choice.
>> What is the rationale for this decision ?
>
> Some projects need the same run parameters on all machines.
> For example instantfpc projects can't run with the default run
> params.

>From my personal experience, I really think this is a minority...

For example, testsuites. I keep setting the --suite=TestA.MethodXYZ.
My collegue sets it to --suite=TestB.MethodC.
It gives me conflicts every time I update from SVN.

And in this case you almost never use the same command-line twice.

>> Logically, I would I think these parameters belong in the .lps file ?
>
> I agree, there should be an option. Or even better would be a list
> of run modes.

Don't get overenthousiastic. Keep it simple :)

The trouble with a list is that you must maintain it, just as the build
modes. I don't want that.

So if you do decide to introduce it, please keep it optional, as the build
modes.

Not to say there is already a list, namely the history mechanism.

> Some developers using build modes suggested to have different run
> parameters per build mode. So it would be nice if the list and build
> modes can be connected. For example when switching the build mode, the
> IDE automatically switches the run mode too.

Well.  If you can give a global option

Save "run parameter" settings in
[*] .lpi file
[ ] .lps file
[ ] run modes
[ ] build mode

I will be satisfied.
You could use the ones in .lpi as a fallback, in case they are not set in
the .lps

Michael.