[Lazarus] Run parameters

Kostas Michalopoulos badsectoracula at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 14:25:55 CET 2017

I think having a list for run modes (i assume you mean the settings you
specify in the Run -> Run Parameters dialog box) that you can select from a
popup menu near the "play" button and have different run modes apply, like
you can select the build mode from the "gear" button, is a good idea. Being
able to switch configuration files and working directories from inside
Lazarus for some of the tools i work with would be very nice.

The only thing i disagree with is to have them per build mode since chances
are you'd need them with different build modes (e.g. debug, release,
profile, etc would have the same run modes) and even if you could copy
them, it would still be an annoyance to make sure all are available.

Instead i'd say to have a table with a column per build mode and a row per
run mode, have checkboxes for those that will apply and those checkboxes
would be enabled by default.

Alternatively just use a global list that is the same across all build
modes, but then you may have run modes that do not apply in all build modes
and have them take up space (e.g. if one of your run modes causes a program
to load a 32bit DLL and you are in a build mode that explicitly targets a
64bit OS this run mode wouldn't apply - of course one case wouldn't matter
much, but the next thing i imagine after such a feature is available is
being able to generate run modes automatically though a script :-P).

Kostas