[Lazarus] Initial NoGUI LCL support for Amiga Systems

Marcus Sackrow alb42 at web.de
Tue Jan 3 19:59:57 CET 2017

Hi Juha,

Am 03.01.2017 um 14:53 schrieb Juha Manninen via Lazarus:

>> Since 2010 I'm working on  Lazarus/LCL MUI interface for Amiga Systems. At
>> the moment on github https://github.com/alb42/lazarus/tree/lazarus-morphos
>> some Results of this available at my Blog:
>> https://blog.alb42.de/category/fpc/lcl/
>>
>> Is it possible to add this initial Amiga systems support? How about this MUI
>> LCL Interface?
> I applied the code implementing NoGUI support.
>    http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=31186

Thanks for that, very nice, works fine so far, of course that was only
the start.

> Yes, the MUI stuff looks interesting.
> I think none of the current developers have time nor motivation to
> develop Amiga MUI bindings. It means you should get write access to
> the relevant directory in Lazarus sources and maintain the code
> yourself.

I guess so. I have already an account (login: "marcus") on the
svn.freepascal.org
for the access to freepascal repository. I'm maintainer for Amiga,
AmigaOS4, AROS and MorphOS (together with Karoly Balog) in FPC.

> Initial commit can be done by somebody, maybe me.
> This would kind of imply a commitment from your side to maintain it
> for some time to come.

Of course, thats the idea of it to maintain it (and if working on it for
10 years I will not stop next week :-P) But I need a little bit time to
order everything and make a Patch File. (My Lazarus Sandbox is really
old ;-))

> The term "mui" does not tell much to most people. MUI can also mean
> "Multilingual User Interface" by Microsoft. The bindings name should
> include "Amiga" I think.

I do not agree on this point, several reasons:

- MUI (Magic User Interface) is much older (1993) than the rather
unknown "mui" in Windows
- there will be no explicit "mui" Windows Widgetset in Lazarus, it's
just a technique AmigaOS already have since 1992 as "locale"
- MUI Widgetset is not only for Amiga but also for MorphOS (the
original) and AROS (where it's named "Zune", which is not really better
:-P) so an AmigaMUIor AmMUI would be more confusing.
- for carbon and cocoa the Mac is also not added, even Carbon/Cocoa most
have much other idea, (even QT I would think to QuickTime)
- will be a tremendous work to change that (not possible to do per
search/replace)

Greetings,
Marcus