[Lazarus] FCL DOM [vs] laz2_DOM, and more

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 10:29:08 CEST 2017

<lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org>:

> On Sat, 29 Jul 2017, Marcos Douglas B. Santos via Lazarus wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Nowadays, we have full Unicode support in FPC.
>> So, my question is: The units bellow is still necessary to use XML
>> with Lazarus or we can use just the original provided by FCL?
>>
>> laz2_DOM
>> laz2_XMLRead
>> laz2_XMLWrite
>> laz2_XMLCfg
>> laz2_XMLUtils
>> laz_XMLStreaming
>

> The FPC units use UnicodeString (UTF16), the lazarus units use UTF8.
> If the end result is used excluively in UTF8 strings, the lazarus version
> may be
> faster as there will be less conversions.

I wonder if we can move the UTF8-based XML units to FPC, to be
available in the main FPC distribution too? (Possibly renamed like
Utf8_XMLXxx or such, instead of LazX_XMLXxx.)

The reason I ask:

This requirement (wanting to have XML units based on AnsiStrings, not
WideStrings, because your data is almost always in UTF8 and you're
fine storing it in AnsiString ) is not really specific to Lazarus, or
applications build on top of Lazarus. E.g. in Castle Game Engine I
would prefer using UTF8-based XML units too, I often read UTF8 XML
files (like X3D, Collada 3D models). But I don't want the "core" CGE
to depend on LCL (this makes the process of building and testing
simpler -- you can use CGE components in Lazarus, but you can also use
CGE with our own minimalistic window management without Lazarus).

Regards,
Michalis