[Lazarus] HI-DPI Strangeness

Donald Ziesig donald at ziesig.org
Sat Mar 11 18:51:55 CET 2017

Hi All!

I have noticed strange behavior with Lazarus 1.7 in the HI-DPI mode.
This took some trial and error to find since the connections are not at
all obvious.  I am using Linux Mint 18 and have the same problem with
both MATE and XFCE desktop managers.

When I log out/shutdown/restart and return to Lazarus, the Object
Inspector DPI settings are all at 96 (even though they were all at 144
when I shutdown Lazarus).  The IDE Icons are all tiny (almost
invisible), the source editor windows all had a very small font size,
the Form designers were all hosed, and the programs built with Lazarus
(after the restart) all appear to be compiled with 96 DPI.  I tried
rebuilding the IDE, but that had no impact.  The DPI remained at 96 as
did everything else.

Here is the weird part.

After restarting, I opened a terminal and entered the command "xdpyinfo
| grep dots" to see how it was set.  The response was 144x144.
Apparently the window manager(s) got the message ;-) even if Lazarus did
not.  Note that I did NOT enter any other commands except for the xdpyinfo.

BUT....

When I restarted Lazarus the IDE Icons, the Form Designers and the
source editor fonts were were correctly sized, and the programs built
with Lazarus were correctly sized for 144dpi.

I have appropriate xrandr and xdpyinfo commands in .bash_profile and
.bash_login (redundancy can't hurt :-D).  They don't seem to help.  I
restarted again, opened a terminal (which showed my debug "echo"s so the
two files were executed) and did nothing else.  I then CLOSED the
terminal and started Lazarus.  It came up in 144dpi mode!!!!!!!.

I can not tell where the interaction between Lazarus and the window
managers fails, and I have a work-around (open terminal before starting
Lazarus) so the problem is not serious, but it remains an annoyance.

=====

One more minor issue.  The Main Menu editor still has issues with the
height of fonts in HI-DPI mode, as in:

Again this is not serious, just annoying.

Thanks,

Don Ziesig