[Lazarus] Managing Packages with many versions

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Mar 31 18:18:27 CEST 2017

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 11:42:20 -0300
"Marcos Douglas B. Santos via Lazarus" <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org>
wrote:

>[...]
> Then, the author update this package to 2.0 version.
> Imagine that you have many projects using version 1.0 but you would like to
> update to 2.0 to work in just one project.

A project can set a preferred version of a package:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Packages#Using_preferred_file_name

> The problem is: I don't want to work in other projects right now but you
> need to mantain them compilable with the version 1.0 of SmartFoo if you
> need it any time.
>
> What is the best approach to deal with it?
>
> I've already read the Wiki http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Packages but
> I can not realize how IDE will know about the right *.ppu files to use.

The IDE searches a lpk (correct name and version) and the
corresponding .ppu files are stored relative to the lpk. See here
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Packages#Different_versions_of_a_package

Mattias