[Lazarus] Making sources compatible with Delphi (but Lazarus is priority)

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Fri May 5 13:12:05 CEST 2017

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus
> A case in point. Looking at the Wiki page you listed, I read the following:
> "
> Since FPC 3.0 you must add the flag -FcUTF8 or add {$codepage UTF8} at the beginning of the unit.

Uhhh, the same page in "String Literals" section says:
 "In most cases {$codepage utf8} / -FcUTF8 is not needed."
which is the correct information.

Also this wiki page has become a mess when many people add stuff but
nobody removes any.
For example Michl added the grid about how constant assignment works
with and without {$codepage utf8}. It is nice but he didn't remove the
other paragraphs explaining the same thing. It looks like an extremely
complex topic for a new user, while in reality he should code like
with Delphi + remember only few simple rules.
Then Mattias adds FAQs contradicting the earlier texts ...

The comment from Martok was valid. This page is not good for users who
just want to get started quickly.
I will simplify the page. I will remove stuff and move the FAQ to a
new page. Sorry in advance for people who's text will be removed.

Juha