[Lazarus] Howto disable Lazarus IDE using a XFCE dark theme

R0b0t1 r030t1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 00:58:08 CET 2017

Hello, thanks for your input.

On Monday, November 6, 2017, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus <
lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
> On 2017-11-06 18:13, R0b0t1 via Lazarus wrote:
>>
>> Theming support for Lazarus might be a tall order but I think it would be
>> worth it. See Visual Studio's dark theme, for example.
>
> Unfortunately the Lazarus developers will disagree with you. They want
"native look and feel" at all costs. So individual application theming is
not on their priority list. I've asked for this since 2006.

> Regards,
>   Graeme

The issue here is that the native theming clashes with some built in
Lazarus settings. E.g. if you look at the link I posted that showcases
SynEdit color schemes you will notice there is an image asset that does not
blend in well with dark backgrounds.

These issues are typical, but they mean Lazarus does not currently support
a native look and feel.

I don't doubt you are relaying the developer's statements accurately, but
this probably needs to be looked at again.

Integrated theming is a good idea because unless all assets are obtained
from the windowing toolkit then there is no way to know they will mesh well
with a given color scheme. The theming support could be very minimal, and
might amount to a few sets of bitmap assets and a review of existing UI
code to ensure there are no hardcoded settings.

OP, if you could supply screenshots it would be appreciated.

Respectfully,
    R0b0t1