[Lazarus] External/out-of-tree LCL widgetset

Kostas Michalopoulos badsectoracula at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 03:23:19 CET 2017

Is there a way to have an LCL widgetset outside of the Lazarus tree? I'm
considering writing one for my Little Forms C toolkit at some point but i
don't think it would be very useful to others so i don't think there is
much of a value in having it as part of the Lazarus codebase (and TBH i
cannot guarantee i wont abandon it). Even better if it is possible for it
to exist as a package.

My main motivation is wanting to get away from the modern madness of
GTK3+/Qt5+/Wayland and all that stuff and their dependencies but i'd rather
not rewrite in C all the tools and library code i wrote in Lazarus, so a
custom widgetset that relies only on Little Forms (which itself makes an
effort to rely only on libX11 with an optional Xft dependency) sounds ideal.

However i'm not sure how extensible the LCL widgetset backend is and from a
quick look it seems like there is a ton of manual work just to introduce a
new one. Am i missing something?

Worst case, i'll maintain it as a patchset that needs to be updated with
the main code, but i'd rather not if there is a cleaner way (or can be
easily introduced, after all this isn't something i need immediately :-P
and i think there is value on this being a standard feature).