[Lazarus] Installation of 1.8 RC4 fails.

Donald Ziesig donald at ziesig.org
Fri Oct 13 17:12:14 CEST 2017

On 10/13/2017 03:58 AM, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 20:39:44 -0400
> Donald Ziesig via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> I've done this many times over on many machines (all Debian derivatives)
>> in the past and never had a problem like this.
>>
>> I validated the checksums on all three files.
>>
>> Then I double clicked on /home/donz/Downloads/fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb to
>> activate "Package Installer".  Then clicked "Install Package".  Result
>> seems to be success (but with no sign of the compiler).  What is the
>> standard path for the installation?
> Same as for 3.0.0 and 3.0.2:
> /usr/lib/fpc/<version>/
>
> What do you get when doing "dpkg -l | grep fpc"?
>
> I got the opposite on a fresh Linux Mint 18: When using the command line directly there was
> no error. When using the graphical installer the installation showed a
> conflict error, but the package was installed successfully.
>
> dpkg -i fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb
>

>> [...]
>> I am about to remove all vestiges of Lazarus and FPC from my system and
>> start over, but I really would like to know what is going wrong before I
>> do. :'(
> Probably the old 3.0.2 packages bite the new.
>
> Mattias

Mattias,

dpkg -l | grep fpc
ii  fpc 3.0.0+dfsg-2                                 all          Free
Pascal - SDK suite dependency package
ii  fpc-3.0.0 3.0.0+dfsg-2                                 all
Free Pascal - SDK-3.0.0 suite
ii  fpc-source 3.0.0+dfsg-2                                 all
Free Pascal - SDK source code dependency package
ii  fpc-source-3.0.0 3.0.0+dfsg-2
all          Free Pascal - SDK source code

This is consistent with:

fpc -v
Free Pascal Compiler version 3.0.0+dfsg-2 [2016/01/28] for x86_64
Copyright (c) 1993-2015 by Florian Klaempfl and others
Fatal: No source file name in command line
Fatal: Compilation aborted
Error: /usr/bin/ppcx64 returned an error exitcode

Then:

sudo dpkg -i fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb
dpkg: regarding fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb containing fpc:
  fpc conflicts with fpc
   fpc-3.0.0 provides fpc and is present and installed.

dpkg: error processing archive fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb (--install):
  conflicting packages - not installing fpc
  fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb

Unfortunately the gui installer did NOT produce any error messages so I
was misled into thinking that it was successful.

This gives me enough information that I can continue.  I'll keep you
informed of my progress.

Thanks,

Don