[Lazarus] Who is using Object Pascal in production? (fwd)

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Oct 27 18:18:07 CEST 2017

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017, Marcos Douglas B. Santos wrote:

>> So. For all these reasons, I use Object Pascal. I can take my 10 year old
>> application, recompile, and be reasonably sure it will still work.
>
> WOW... Actually, you have good reasons. I liked.
>
> I am asking this because sometimes I cannot make a project if I say
> that will be coded in Object Pascal.
> I have heard a client saying: We use C# or <choose one>. We don't have
> more Pascal programmers to maintain this.
>
> To develop desktop apps, it's not a problem. But if it will be a web
> app, could be.
> I will use your text, next time.  :)
>
> About performance, do you believe that FastCGI is good or even better
> than these other technologies?

It is equally good. For quick&dirty stuff I use plain old cgi.
I use FastCGI for performance critical external apps.
For some internal apps, I use standalone http server.

The web stack of FPC is such that it does not matter which one you use.
You can simply recompile your app with a different uses clause and it is
switched from cgi/fastcgi/standalone.
The rest is a matter of configuring your webserver...

Michael.