[Lazarus] Who is using Object Pascal in production?

Ralf Quint freedos.la at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 18:46:03 CEST 2017

On 10/27/2017 5:26 AM, Marcos Douglas B. Santos via Lazarus wrote:
> I would like to propose a discussion about "What is the relevance of
> Object Pascal nowadays".
> I don't want waste your time. I just want to know if we are growing
> and being more relevant or not.
>
> I use Object Pascal (mostly FPC, some old Delphi) in production to
> make real applications. But we are seeing more and more "new
> frameworks", "new technologies" and new languages that are become more
> relevant.
>
> What do you think?
If you are looking into all "new" stuff, it's nothing more than turning
into Homer Simpson ("Oh, shiny!"). You spend more time to try and stay
atop of all the latest fads but don't get anything real done. There
might be the one or two things that some of those new gadgets can do
better/easier but in the long run, barely any of them is of
significance, by any count, in a few years...

I can do everything I need to do (and then some) with
FreePascal/Lazarus. Yes, there are some areas where a bit more work is
needed, like being able to create Android/iOS applications with Lazarus
in the way it can be done with Delphi, or creating applications for
macOS. Or coding for embedded stuff with AVR based boards. Something
that IMHO should be put more focus on than adding the latest fads from
other programming languages to the compiler, just because some people
THINK they need this.

Ralf

---