[Lazarus] Who is using Object Pascal in production?

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 18:00:33 CEST 2017

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 1:34 AM, R0b0t1 <r030t1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Finally, FPC became almost completely unsuitable for competitive
>> programming,
>> which drives away influential part of next programmers generation.
>> At the last year International Olympiad in Informatics I have given a
>> passionate speech
>> against excluding Free Pascal from a list of available languages,
>> and succeeded in postponing that decision for a few years,
>> but the writing is still on the wall.
>>
>> So reluctantly I started to phase out FPC/Lazarus in my work
>> in favor of PascalABC/Python for high school and ะก++/C# for university.
>> For the record, C# is the only language in that list that I like.
>>

> I found something similar. Do you think you can add to your explanation of
> why it is no longer competitive?

At first popularity declined because Pascal did not have efficient
data structures and algorithms in standard library
(which is ironic for a language introduced in a book named "Algorithms
+ Data Structures").
Now, community simply forgot about it.
I heard children use "you program in Pascal" as a taunt meaning "you
are not well-educated" :)

--
Alexander S. Klenin