[Lazarus] Who is using Object Pascal in production?

Dennis dec12 at avidsoft.com.hk
Mon Oct 30 04:47:43 CET 2017

Marcos Douglas B. Santos via Lazarus wrote:
> I would like to propose a discussion about "What is the relevance of
> Object Pascal nowadays".
> I don't want waste your time. I just want to know if we are growing
> and being more relevant or not.

I use FPC/Lazarus to write a program trading software to trade
futures/options. I chose it because I need it to run on windows and
(maybe in future) Linux and Mac OS.
Could not use Java,C# because garbage collection and JIT compiler might
cause the program to freeze in the middle of critical trading, which is
utterly unacceptable for trading.

FPC is also clean and easy to maintain and can actually do anything. I
might lack some new syntax to speed up parallel programming or
functional programming but those could still be achieved with a bit work.
I don't want to invest in a new language just for a few new features but
risk making some programming errors since I don't fully understand the
language.
Also, new languages come and gone so fast. I remember Flash's language
was hot some years ago but now discarded.

Also FPC's compile time is short compared to many other languages.

Dennis