[Lazarus] Google vs Oracle case - does it affect LCL ?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 14:11:54 CEST 2018

On 15/04/18 10:30, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:
> On 2018-04-15 09:42, Adrian Veith via Lazarus wrote:> What do you think ?
> It will never concern or worry use. Why...? If Embarcadero can't evenbother, or simply can't stop Code Typhon in shipping a leaked FMXframework, why would Google, Oracle or Microsoft bother with somethingas small as FPC or Lazarus. They just wont - it will be a colossal wasteof time for them with no financial reward.

I'd suggest that that is not a safe assumption: "We didn't think anybody
would notice" has never been a valid defence, and copyright is governed
by international treaties.

Leaving aside the question of jurisdiction and differing tolerance of
reverse engineering etc. in different countries, I'd suggest that the
most relevant thing is that at one point the company that owned the
rights to Delphi made commercial use of the FPC compiler. They cannot
claim to be ignorant of the function and structure names in the FCL, and
the fact that they (presumably) did not challenge the FPC developers at
that point would probably make it more difficult to do so now.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk