[Lazarus] Crowdfunding to speed up the development of pas2js in Lazarus Widgetset and fpDebug to FPC

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Dec 19 00:24:41 CET 2018

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 9:17 PM Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus
> <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>> Why do you need a separate crowdfunding effort, if the Free Pascal and
>> Lazarus foundation has been created specially for this ?
>
> Pas2JS was supported by the foundation more than any other project, if
> I understood right.

Yes.

> Now looking at its home page:
>  https://foundation.freepascal.org/
> I don't see Pas2JS even listed in the projects page. Why?

Of course it is, it's even in the menu.

https://foundation.freepascal.org/projects/pastojs

> The main page says about donations:
> "If you would like to donate money for a specific project, see our
> donations page page. A list of past donors can be seen in our Hall of
> fame."
> However there is no way to donate for a specific project. The money
> goes into a black hole. Its usage for various projects is not reported
> even afterwards.

All the money currently donated - with exception of a donation for
WebAssembly - has been used for pas2js.

> I understand it is a turn-off for people like Edivando who want to
> support a particular sub-project.

Why ? All you need to do is contact us.
All mails are answered.

> When the foundation was discussed, I remember there was a request to
> publish data about the money flow and projects supported.

I have not seen such a request. At least, I have no recollection of it.

> I don't find data anywhere else either. Google+ community was closed.
> Are there other places to look at?
> I think "Google+ community" should be removed from the About page.
>
> Anyway, I understand Edivando's motive to support a particular project
> using an open and controlled crowdfunding process instead of puoring
> the money into a black hole from where no information leaks out.

If you want us to report publicly on the website:
I don't think that this is necessary, but this can be discussed.

In each case, there is nothing to hide: as said, most of the money has
been paid to Mattias to develop pas2js.

And both the chairman and me have added - out of our own pockets - to this
a multiple of the amounts donated, otherwise pas2js would never have been
realized.

Your accusation of a black hole is therefor
a) wholly ungrounded. Ask, and you will get answers.
c) a sign you do not trust us.
   Given that you can profit from the results at no cost, this is strange.

Or maybe you simply want to be at the steering wheel yourself ?

I will remind you that I have for many years asked people on the mailing
lists to create a foundation or some legal structure to be able to collect
funds for FPC/Lazarus.

No-one stepped up, so I had to do it myself with the help of an
enthousiast supporter outside of the FPC/Lazarus community, the editor of
Blaise Pascal magazine.

Talk is cheap.

Michael.