[Lazarus] Form events firing order and count

Ondrej Pokorny lazarus at kluug.net
Sun Feb 18 20:13:16 CET 2018

On 18.02.2018 19:06, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:
> On 2018-02-18 10:09, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus wrote:
>> Yes, it does. It is Delphi.
>
> 1) Not everybody owns a copy of Delphi to compare. Since when is it a
> good idea to have a Open Source project rely on a Commercial product.

Come on, AFAIK FPC and Lazarus have aimed to be Delphi compatible from
the very beginning. You are much longer a member of the Lazarus
community than I am, so you should know better. What do you want to say
with this point?

Or am I somehow absolutely wrong and FPC/Lazarus are so close to Delphi
by accident?

> 2) FPC seems to target Delphi 7 compatibility - but considering how
> old Delphi 7 is, that seems to be a ridiculous goal.

:D OK, MvC and Florian already commented on this. I really don't
understand why there is so much false/misleading information in this
thread from you.

> What Delphi version does the Lazarus project try to mimic?

The latest.

> 3) Does that mean LCL-Win32 being the closest to Delphi.... ie: a
> wrapper around the native Win32 controls. Does that mean LCL-Win32 is
> the reference implementation for all other LCL widgetsets?

Yes - in a loose way. There are Gtk2 and Qt specific properties in the
LCL as well. See the Restricted tab in object inspector.

> 4) Continuing with option (3). Are there any defined tests or test
> projects that can confirm LCL-Win32 is compatible with Delphi's VCL?
> I'm talking about events, order of events firing. And then also
> components and properties of said components.

I am not aware of any (which doesn't mean they don't exist).

Ondrej