[Lazarus] Debugging Lazarus using Lazarus

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sat Jul 7 13:39:33 CEST 2018

On 07/07/2018 13:09, Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus wrote:
> On 07/07/18 10:45, Martin Frb via Lazarus wrote:
>> On 07/07/2018 11:46, Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus wrote:> When
>> multiple copies of the same version (e.g. trunk) Lazarus are > being
>> run, with a view to stepping through a problem in IDE-related > code,
>> is there any way to force an override so that all windows >
>> associated with the "inner" copy are marked distinctively with e.g.
>> an > implausible background colour, a thin diagonal line overlaying
>> the > content, or at the very least an instance identifier in every
>> caption?>In menu Run > Run Parameter, specify
>> --primary-config-path=/somefolder
>> - Then on first run, go into options > editor > colors, and change
>> whatever color you like. (e.g. background or gutter). well ok that is
>> only the editor windows. It will not affect breakpoints, etc....- The
>> main IDE bar has/has not the word "debugging" in it.- You can also
>> have a different projects open. As the last open project will be
>> re-open, and that is stored in primary conf. With that, the debugged
>> IDE will not open the stack and watches window (unless you want it to).
>
> I've got /two/ main editor bars with "debugging" in them, two windws
> called "Source Editor (2)" and so on :-)
But unless the inner IDE (the one being debugged) is itself debugging a
third IDE, you can use the current project name.

Tools > Options > Window: CheckBox "IDE title shows starts with project
name" (and related options)
In fact, I think the project name is always show (just usually at the end)

And with separate primary conf, the debugged IDE loads a project of your
choice
But if you need to have the IDE as 3rd debuggee, then modify/hide the
component palette.

> I'd have thought that a comparatively easy way round this would have
> been a global option to put the main-process PID on all form/dialogue
> captions. That would have result in a useful distinction even when
> multiple instances were using the same configuration files.
Do they need the same config?

But your idea with the PID, just hack TForm.SetCaption (or SetRealText)