[Lazarus] Converting a component package Delphi->Lazarus using built-in converter?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 19:05:46 CEST 2018

As part of an effort to port a Delphi program to FPC/Lazarus I have
tried to install a custom package of components we use with Delphi
from D7 to XE5 into Lazarus 1.8.4 win32.

I started by using the menu function:
 Tool/Delphi Conversion/Convert Delphi Package

After navigating to the dpk file in the components source dir Lazarus
thought quickly and then popped up the dialog for package handling,
but no hint on what to do next....

So I tried the Compile button and it worked for a short while, again
with no feedback and was back on the same dialog.
Next I tried the "Use" combo-button and selected subfunction "Install"
since I want these custom component which are used in many of our
Delphi programs to be available in Lazarus too.
But now there was a message:

"The package <name> does not have any "Register" procedure, which
typically means, it does not provide any IDE add-on. Installing it
will probably only increase the size of the IDE and may even make it
unstable"
Hint: If you want to use a package in your project, use the "Add to
project" menu item."

Now what? My alternatives are:
"Install it, I like the fat." or "Cancel"

This Delphi package is a collection of some 20 components and all of
them have Register procedures inside of each source file.
Is it not possible to collect together a number of components into a
package for easy installation in Lazarus?

This is our practice in Delphi since 2002 or so...

Or is it just the converter that is havĂ­ng problems?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden