[Lazarus] How to use two different versions of FPC

shoKwave shokwave at gmx.net
Mon May 7 17:36:51 CEST 2018

Am 07.05.2018 um 16:54 schrieb Gabor Boros via Lazarus:
> Is BigChimp's suggestion (1.-6.) a good starting point nowadays or
> something changed meanwhile in this topic. I will build everything
> (Lazarus fixes_1_8 and trunk, FPC trunk) from source except the actual
> stable FPC (now 3.0.4).
>
> https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,15716.msg85158.html#msg85158

Hi Gabor,

it's a good starting point but I have some corrections.

  * Install systemwide FPC and whatever primary Lazarus install you want
  * Get another FPC, e.g. from SVN, make all, make install under e.g.
    ~/fpcdev
  * make softlink from ~/fpcdev/lib/fpc/<version>/ppcbinary to ~/fpcdev/bin
  * Generate an fpc.cfg in ~/fpcdev/lib/fpc/etc directory using fpcmkcfg
  * Get/compile another Lazarus using make
    FPC=~/fpcdev/whereverbin/ppcbinary so Laz gets compiled with the
    right FPC
  * Run secondary Lazarus with --primary-config path set to a new
    directory, e.g. ~/lazarusdev/
  * Set up secondary Lazarus Options/Paths, specifying FPC directory as
    ~/fpcdev/wherever...

#3 is new. The link is not generated by make so you'll have to create it
by yourself.

#4 is slightly different. On Linux and MacOS fpc expects the fpc.cfg to
be in the relative path "../etc/fpc.cfg"  (see
https://linux.die.net/man/5/fpc.cfg).

Hope this helps.

Ingo