[Lazarus] Installed lazarus-ide in Ubuntu18, cannot install package

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 09:24:13 CEST 2018

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:57 AM Teresa Williams via Lazarus
> I have done this several times on opensuse Leap 14 and 15. Each time I have had fpc installed first: is that what you meant? Or does the svn repository include fpc now?

Yes, FPC must be installed first. Version 3.02 is enough to build
latest Lazarus and most distros have at least that.
FPC has its sources in a SVN repository, too, but building FPC is a
little more difficult. I don't recommend it for new users.
Getting and building Lazarus from sources however is so simple that
anybody can do it. Just one "svn co ..." and then "make".

> And each time I have had to run make with -j1  Even on multiprocessor machines, parallel make runs into a race condition sooner or later, and report that a package cannot be found. Idle playing with the Makefile hasn't shed any light on why.

I guess you have compiled C code. Free Pascal does not have such
problems as far as I know. At least for me "make" has worked always
when building Lazarus.
BTW, the default "make" target is "all". You can also use "make
bigide" which includes the packages used for releases.

Juha