[Lazarus] Installed lazarus-ide in Ubuntu18, cannot install package

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 11:19:54 CEST 2018

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 11:21 AM Brian via Lazarus
> FWIW, all that I've done (using Ubuntu 18.04, but also with previous
> versions of Ubuntu and Debian) is to lock all the FPC and Lazarus
> packages against upgrade from the repositories. When a new version
> comes out, I just download the DEBs from Sourceforge and install those
> manually. If there's a problem with using the DEBs from Sourceforge,
> then I'd like to know about it.

You were lucky then. You must read details of those problems by
searching the forum. It can be read also without logging in.
The problems go beyond imagination. Here are just a few examples:
 https://forum.lazarus-ide.org/index.php/topic,42387.0.html
 https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,41524.0.html
 https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,41333

I also remember screwing up my Xubuntu package system when installing
some external packages.
Finally I switched to a rolling distro which has recent versions of
the SW I am interested in.

Building Lazarus from sources using "svn co" and "make" is so easy
that I wonder why people refuse to do it.
People want to try anything except for this most obvious and easiest
way, including fpcupdeluxe which is an overkill for this simple task.

Juha