[Lazarus] Installed lazarus-ide in Ubuntu18, cannot install package

Brian b_lists at patandbrian.org
Wed Oct 24 21:16:34 CEST 2018

On 10/24/2018 11:54 AM, Juha Manninen via Lazarus wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 3:45 PM Brian via Lazarus
> <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>> Well, here's an example for you of why people may refuse to use SVN.
>>
>> I downloaded the sources via svn and built Lazarus, no problem in that
>> step.
>>
>> Then I ran V2.0 and started installing some packages I use.
>>
>> I got the following error on rebuilding Lazarus, line 1134 of
>> IBCustomDataSet, which is
>>
>> "           Result := ValidUTF8String(TextToSingleLine(Result))"
>>
>> The error message was "Identifier not found, ValidUTF8String".
>
> Where did you find IBCustomDataSet? I don't find it in FPC or Lazarus sources.
> ValidUTF8String was deprecated in Lazarus 1.7, then removed in 1.9 and thus 2.0.
> This is part of the normal deprecation / removal cycle, not related to
> using SVN.

I allowed 2.0 to upgrade my 1.8.4 configuration, could that have been
the mistake? I'm not sure where IBCustomDataSet came from.

> Is there ValidUTF8String in Delphi?

I don't know. This is a Xubuntu 18.04 box, I haven't used Delphi since
Delphi 7.

> In that case it should be restored
> preferably into the same unit Delphi has it.
> Again this is not related to using SVN.

Maybe not, but my point is that I was running the 1.8.4 .DEBs from
SourceForge with no problems. I was a research chemist who had to
teach himself how to program, not a computer scientist, and errors
from deep inside code libraries tend to throw me, especially when it's
object oriented code (yes, I'm that old).

Anyway, I started uninstalling packages, and I do now have everything
building correctly. Now it's just a case of finding out what I need to
try to put back in again.

Brian.