[Lazarus] Translation templates (master files) now have .pot extension

Maxim Ganetsky ganmax at narod.ru
Fri Jan 25 01:29:05 CET 2019

Hello.

In r60208 I changed extension of master PO files (a.k.a. templates) from
.po to .pot, adapted IDE, POChecker, updatepofiles tool and
localize.bat/.sh scripts.

Reasons:
1. .pot is 'industry standard' extension for PO template files. As a
consequence, PO editors can now open our templates 'out of the box' and
automate creation of translations.
2. It is now much simpler to detect template files now that dotted unit
names are allowed.

Example for IDE translation:

Previously we had:

Template:    lazaruside.po
German:      lazaruside.de.po
Russian:     lazaruside.ru.po
Spanish:     lazaruside.es.po
French:      lazaruside.fr.po
Italian:     lazaruside.it.po

Now we have (note extension of the template):

Template:    lazaruside.pot
German:      lazaruside.de.po
Russian:     lazaruside.ru.po
Spanish:     lazaruside.es.po
French:      lazaruside.fr.po
Italian:     lazaruside.it.po

You can safely remove .po template files from your project AFTER you
rebuild your IDE and rebuild your project with it (at this point .pot
files should be generated).

Note that although .po template files have been removed from Lazarus
SVN, they may reappear during first IDE rebuild (with the old one). In
this case it may be a good idea to clean them up after rebuild.

If you use updatepofiles tool or localize.bat/.sh scripts in Lazarus
directory, do not forget to rebuild updatepofiles (run "make tools" in
Lazarus directory).

--
Best regards,
  Maxim Ganetsky                  mailto:ganmax at narod.ru