[Qt] Re: Magnifier on OS X

Hess, Philip J pjhess at purdue.edu
Thu Feb 22 21:45:50 CET 2007

Felipe,

We also have an 800 MHz iBook at home and it's certainly much faster
than my Cube even with only a G3.

Note that the one you're looking at doesn't have the Airport (wireless)
card - don't know if that's important to you. You might be able to find
one of these cheap somewhere - Apple doesn't make them anymore for that
older model (new ones have the faster "Airport Extreme" card).

And you'll probably want to boost the RAM. I usually order memory from
this place (has good information on type and amount of memory each model
of iBook can use):

http://www.transintl.com/macupgrades/index.cfm

It also has only Panther (10.3), not Tiger. Do you have access to
Apple's educational prices? OS X 10.4 Tiger is much cheaper that way if
you want to upgrade.

You can use any USB mouse if you prefer that to the trackpad. We bought
a $15 Kensington "PocketMouse" recently - very nice and small for use
with a laptop.

Thanks.

-Phil