[Qt] Good progress on TBitmap

Hess, Philip J pjhess at purdue.edu
Mon Jan 29 21:06:02 CET 2007

A GTK2 app that's compiled against GTK2 libraries that don't depend on
X11 would also qualify as a native app along with Carbon and Qt. I'm
assuming that few developers would ever distribute a GTK/X11-based app
on OS X because of the hassle of using fink to download and install the
GTK libraries. (As well as the general ugliness of the resulting app.)

It's important to remember that almost all OS X users are real end
users, few programmers, their computers are running desktop software not
acting as servers, etc. These are users with high standards and expect a
lot in the way of ease of installation and operation from their
software.

I believe the typical Mac user buys 3x more software (real money) than
the typical Windows user. Not sure why this is. Maybe fewer pirates,
maybe more affluent, probably something to do with not accepting free
crapware that the PC hardware companies preload onto their machine in
exchange for payment from the crapware makers... Mac users put out a lot
of money for software that they expect will meet the high standards of
the free Apple apps included with OS X.

I've been able to link a GTK2 widgetset executable created by Laz
against the GTK2 libraries included with the OS X version of Gimp. This
is one possible way of getting GTK2 libraries installed on an end user's
machine that's much easier than using fink. Gimp uses the drag-and-drop
installation that OS X supports: Open the package and drag and drop Gimp
anywhere you like. Close package. Done with installation. Currently the
Gimp's GTK2 2.6.10 libraries require X11, but I would assume this would
be a program that would be one of the first to move to X11-free GTK2
libraries when they become available.

Thanks.

-Phil