[Qt] [Core] Packaging of qt4-lib for FPC/Laz developers

Den Jean Den.Jean at telenet.be
Thu May 28 20:33:01 CEST 2009

On Thursday 28 May 2009 19:04:47 Vincent Snijders wrote:
> Matthias Klumpp schreef:
> > The wrapper library can also be used from non-pascal applications.
No .... Unlike the obsolete QtC library, this library tries to be
pascal friendly. Hence, certain pascal data types are used.

E.g. to avoid the use of QStrings, functions with a QString
as parameter are changed into functions with Pascal WideString parameters.
As C++/C does not know how to create/fill this pascal type,
the C++/C library is initialized with pascal functions to do this.

See InitPWideStrings at very bottom of qt4.pas:
-> provision of pascal function to C++/C library.

> > Otherwise it is completely written in C++ and not an official part of FPC
> > (?).
> > So maybe it would make more sense to create an independent package, I
> > think.

The binding is far from complete, only the classes necessary for Lazarus
were done. Furthermore there is no integration with Qt Dialog Editing.
So perhaps it is not that useful for fpc itself.

For lazarus it is very helpful as it provides a very large cross platform
capability with native look capabilities on every platform
(Windows/Windows XP/Windows Vista, Mac, Linux Qt, Linux Embedded.
Qt now also supports Windows Embedded and S60 Embedded,
I just didn't do the bindings yet, as I do not have any device :-;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhba1lhBllM&feature=channel_page

Qt can also look like Gtk or Motif (and CDE, CleanStyle).

http://doc.qtsoftware.com/4.5/qstyle.html#details

> I agree.
>
> Vincent
>
> > (But there may also be some advantages in making libqt4intf.so part of
> > the official FPC - pleas ask the developer of Qt4FPC abou this)

I do not mind, but Makefile (c or pascal) are not my cup of tea,
but it would certainly improve distribution inclusion.
Now everyone complains of ... ld cannot find -lqt4intf ...

> >> The proper solution will be to move it to FPC repository and package it
> >> in fp-units-qt4 just like fp-units-gtk2, no?
> >>
> >> Does anyone complain about this?

noop

kind regards,

Den Jean